Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Kickin' it Old School


“Frank the tank! Frank the tank!” cheered the guys and girls at the party as Frank (Will Ferrell) finished off a beer bong and proceeded to jerk his arms back and forth pretending to rapid-fire guns, like an army tanker.


Old School, a 2003 comedy film directed by Todd Phillips, is a movie depicting the party life of college students. It stars   Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Luke Wilson as the three main characters, Bernard, Frank and Mitch respectively. These three actors all have a reputation of being successful and very funny men. With them as the main focus of Old School, the film turns out to be one of the few comedy films out there that is actually funny.

         The movie is centered around the three depressed, middle-aged men, Bernard, Frank and Mitch, who want to relive their college years. It begins with a break-up between Mitch and his girlfriend, which prompts him to go house hunting. He finds a suitable home just off of a college campus and the guys decide to throw a house warming party so they can invite college students. The party consists of loud music featuring famous rapper Snoop Dogg, dirty grind dancing and binge drinking by means of drinking games and devices.
The morning after the party, the dean of the university threatens eviction and the guys realize the only way for Mitch to keep the house is to become a fraternity. Thus, they recruit rushes and then select pledges. The pledge class consists of everyone from a nerdy college guy to an extremely overweight boy to a very old man named Blue, who doesn’t even attend the university. Sadly, during Blue’s birthday celebration he dies after seeing two topless women. Even at Blue’s funeral, the stupidity and humor seen throughout the movie does not stop as Frank shouts obnoxiously “You’re my boy Blue” over the musical performance.
There is little to no mention of academics or schoolwork in the movie, which is unrealistic of college life. Overall, the film sort of mocks fraternity life and insults college students in general as they are portrayed as nothing but drunken crazy people. It is offensive, but meant purely for amusement.
         Although the goal of the film is to be a satirical depiction of college party and fraternity life, the basic ideas behind it are realistic. Partying, frat life and hazing pledges are all activities that do exist in the real world. College age students and even those just out of college would certainly enjoy this movie. The plotline is downright stupid; but it is extremely funny and entertaining.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good movie when your just looking for a laugh! I can't believe i haven't watched it yet. It will definitely be on my to do list. But i do agree there is more to college than partying, frats, and hazing. I guess its justing trying to portray that college is truly the best years of your life. Great description, it makes me want to go watch it. :) The picture is catchy also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good hook! The first sentence kept me interested and wanted me to keep reading! "Old School" sounds like a typical movie portrayal of college, but a funny one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guys and their mid life crises... Sound review. I think I'd to see this movie. Inaccurate or not, the stereotype frat life college movies always have scenes that keep my laughing for a while. Seeing these three together undergoig their mid-life crises and trying to relive their collee years must have been hysterical. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen the movie but just by reading this blog i am definitely going to see it, it sounds hilarious! Especially if Will Ferrell is in it! Most comedy college movies tend to mock or over exaggerate what really happens but like you said, although the plots are stupid, they are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this movie until I saw it on the lists of movies that were being shown at the film festival. I love Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn and they're always funny in their movies. The picture also reminds me of something I would see at a college party. Thanks to your movie review I will definitely watch this movie because I'm always looking for a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I love this move, I've seen it like a hundred times. I wish i had done this one, i would've definitely had more to say about this than i had to say about the social Network. Never mind that, i thought you did a good job of relating this movie to real college life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta say this is one of my favorite movies of all time and you did a great job of summarizing what the movie is about But I have to say that my favorite part is the picture of Frank going hard, it was a great touch to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first line of the blog really grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading! I love every movie that Will Ferrell stars in. I have never seen this movie but after reading this review makes me want to see it. Great summary of the movie! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete